Newport County Association Football Club is a professional association football club based in the city of Newport, South Wales. Most recently reformed in 1989, the club is a continuation of the Newport County club which was founded in 1912 and was a founder member of the Football League’s new Third Division in 1920.
Newport County were Welsh Cup winners in 1980 and subsequently reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup Winner’s Cup in 1981. The club was relegated from the Football League in 1988 and went out of business in February 1989. The club reformed shortly afterwards and entered the English football league system at a much lower level. In 2013 the club won promotion back to the Football League for the first time since 1988.